Modelo Braised Carnitas
I make this Carnitas on Sunday and crisp in my cast iron skillet during the week for taco night. Great for a crowd and parties.
- Seasoning Blend: Salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, dried Mexican oregano
- 6 lb pork butt (shoulder) with the fat cap trimmed off and cut into 6 large chunks
- 2 large onions, sliced thin pole to pole
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can modelo (or your fave Mexican beer)
- 1 jar tomatillo salsa (as mild or spicy as your prefer)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1.5 cup Chicken broth
- 2 juicy limes
Modelo Braised Carnitas Recipe
- Preheat oven to 260 degrees
- Start by liberally seasoning the pork pieces on all sides. Heat a large dutch oven with 1 Tbl olive oil on high until smoking and sear pork on all sides until deeply browned (approx 4 minutes per side) and remove from pot. Be sure to brown not burn!
- Add in 1 more Tbl olive oil and sauté onions for 5 minutes until brown and softened. Then add in minced garlic and cook until fragrant. Keep things moving constantly so it doesn’t burn!
- Crack a cerveza and add in half a can, scraping up all the dark delicious crustiness that you have worked so hard to build at the bottom of the pot. Simmer for about 3 minutes and then add in the bottle of tomatillo salsa.
- Throw in 2 bay leaves, a palmful of cumin, and half a palm of oregano. Place pork back in an even layer.
- Add in just enough chicken stock to almost submerge the pork. The top 1/4 inch should be above the liquid line.
- Bring to a simmer, cover it, and pop it in the oven! Leave it in there for about 2 hours. Remove the lid and put it back in for another hour or until falling apart fork tender.
- Remove pork and skim the pot of the fat layer that settles on top. Use the largest spoon you have and keep the spoon floating on top allowing the fat to move onto the spoon.
- Shred, shred, shred that tender meat and cover with aluminum.
- Simmer pot for about 10 minutes until reduced by about half. Add shredded pork back into the pot and simmer together for 5 minutes and then hit it with fresh lime juice.
- **Note: I usually make this entire recipe in a pressure cooker. High pressure for 1 hour. Let the steam release naturally and boom dinner in a flash!
- Put it in a taco… Serve it over rice or beans… Eat it up as is… just go for it!